[K2CC] Meeting Tonight

Gregory M Zenger gzenger at gdeb.com
Mon Jan 20 16:03:35 EST 2014

Here are a few ideas/comments regarding #2:

Back in the day we had plans to implement such a system, for the exact
reasons.  A digital checkin/check out sysem served up on one of the
comptuers should be fairly easy to implement, and there are probably
already open source solutions that would work, though a savvy computer
engineer could probably whip one up in a few hours. Your student IDs have
barcodes/ magnetic stripes/ and RFID  (I think we had all 3 when I was a
student, I presume they are all still in use)  we had a card reader at one
point that could be used to read the cards (i dont remember if it was
magstripe or barcode that it read). it might have been OIT property
because the Moore House basement door had an electrical unlocking
mechanisim that was never properly hooked up, everyone was issued BEST
keys for the handle lock.

of course, if you forget to checkout, then someone might think you are
there and go down to keep you company, to be disappointed... Maybe an
always on webcam would do the trick?

Or if you have some general or extra class operators on your roster, you
could setup control-op hours where you have a slightly more rigid schedule
of people in the shack.